Monday, July 29, 2013

Why I'm never buying another vBulletin license - F0r00m

Feed: Digital Point
Posted on: Sunday, July 28, 2013 19:05
Author: tavenger5
Subject: Why I'm never buying another vBulletin license

 

After 10+ years of using vBulletin I never thought I'd say this. I still remember the good old 2.x days when to put in a mod you had to follow instructions to change the code. For each upgrade you had to re-hack those files. People were really excited for 3.x!

Internet Brands has left a sour taste in a lot of its customers mouths. Not only because they keep putting out things that customers aren't even asking for, but because it's done in such a haphazard way, it makes makes people dizzy. The CMS in vb4 is an absolute dog, and vb4 is still slow. They can't even get the editor to work correctly in IE10. Their solution? Disable the editor. They release a Facebook app product then abandoned it. The 'Mobile Suite' was/is a disaster. You can't upgrade from a 3.x license to a 4.x license without paying $200. They attempted to sue Xenforo for creating a competing product, which really made a lot of people mad and is just bad PR.

But their biggest mistake as of late is they released vB5 before it was even close to being done. It's slowly getting usable, but it's still missing a lot. There are lots of things that were seemingly changed/added for no apparent reason, which makes things confusing. For example, the latest activity stream in a post, or the comment on individual posts. Huh?


I just bought my first Xenforo license. I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but already I can see how much more sense things make. It loads faster, looks better, and has features that you and your members will actually use. If I had the ability to easily update my other sites, I would do so, and that's saying a lot.

 

FACEBOOK COMMENT